Dec 022011
 

I recently upgraded my work PC from Natty to Oneiric, and discovered that whenever I had a window open that wasn’t maximized, it’s backend process and xorg would use up 100% of the cpu.

I was nearly about to rebuild my machine when I discovered that it only happened for non-maximized GTK windows. As a last ditch effort, I ran gtk-theme-switch2, and switch my theme. Magically, this fixed the problem!

Part of the issue was that I’m running in Fluxbox, not Gnome or Unity. I think somehow it got the theme messed up during the upgrade, and since neither Gnome nor Unity had the chance to set it to a correct theme, it borked.

  One Response to “100% cpu usage in Oneiric (Ubuntu 11.10)”

  1. THANK YOU!

    I just spent a day trying to work out WTF was going on, it wasn’t I stumbled upon the fact that maximizing the window made the problem go away that I managed to give Google the right keywords to find your blog.

    For the record, I was using the Oxygen-Molecule theme to get GTK apps to look right in KDE, it was the cause of the issue!

 Leave a Reply

(required)

(required)


*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>